Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Browsing in Seattle

Two days condensed into one post, for your convenience (and mine).

Yesterday, Mark and I got up early to drive back to Seattle (our rental car was due back at the agency by mid-morning), took the Kingston-Edmonds ferry back across the sound. We dropped the luggage at our hotel (the Pioneer Square Best Western, the same hotel in which I stayed on my visit three years ago) and then spent a few harried minutes going in circles around city blocks because the road we needed to take was closed for construction. We managed to find the Budget office eventually, then walked back to the Pioneer Square area.

Since it was still morning and our hotel room wouldn't be ready for a while, we detoured to a nearby antique mall and killed several hours browsing everything from antique camera equipment to vintage comic books. Mark ended up buying a 1984 Hulk comic book, in which... well... Hulk goes crazy and just starts destroying stuff. I bought an overpriced issue of NOW Comics' mediocre Speed Racer -- a volume I didn't have, in which Speed drives the GRX -- and a 1944 training and nutrition manual published by Purina called Dog Etiquette. (As it turns out, my mother had a paperback copy of the same book in the 1960s.) The training and dietary information is horribly out of date, of course, but it's interesting to read and see the prevailing attitudes of the day. The book has some cute artwork, too. My favorite picture in the book is a line drawing of an expressive Doberman being choked while his owner commands, "Heel!" The look on the dog's face illustrates perfectly why we don't train that way any more...

After the antique mall, we grabbed some pizza and garlic bread at a local eatery, then checked into the hotel and spent a few minutes arranging the room and planning the rest of the day. We decided to do a little shopping, since Mom and Dad weren't due in until evening. Our first stop was Simo Silk, where I bought a couple of nice Chinese silk outfits last time I was here. Then we headed to the Elliot Bay Book Company -- my favorite bookstore in the world -- and spent several hours book-browsing. Since my luggage space is very limited, I bought only one book: The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, by Lauren Willig. I picked it up because of the Scarlet Pimpernel tie-in (as pretty much everyone reading this knows, I am an avid collector of Scarlet Pimpernel books, merchandise and memorabilia). I hope it's good. I'll review it on Goodreads after I've read it.

One thing I like about Elliot Bay (beside the facts that it's in an awesome historic building, is four stories tall, takes up half a city block, and is crammed full of all kinds of BOOKS) is that they have book reviews written by their staff members posted all around the store. While walking through the fantasy section, we found a stack of Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind with a review card stuck under it. And, of course, I took a photo [at right]. I seem to be taking a LOT of NOTW photos lately... ^_^

Today, we walked to Pike Place market and spent the day wandering, sampling fresh produce, browsing and occasionally supporting the local economy. By mid-afternoon Mom headed back to the hotel and Dad, Mark and I killed another three hours in a comic book store, browsing comics, flipping through anthologies and giggling at weird merchandise.

The store had cute Speed Racer keychains and magnets, but they were all overpriced. :P Where's all the cheap kitsch?!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

NOTW FTW!

6/04/2008 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home